Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Re: Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Back in Mission Beach again and getting up to date with this thread.

The engine noise turned out to be the venturi ring that had vibrated on a road with plenty of corrugations. As suspected there is a leaky rear wheel cylinder and on the other side a broken brake pad spring which probably explains some of the weird noises and brake dragging behaviour. Still waiting to get the car back so been finding ways to fill in my time.....

Could think of worse places to wait! Spent the day today with some friends from Darwin that are based at MB but will be shifting to Townsville next year. Big Mama Sailing - had a great day out to the reef and back - wish I'd remembered to take to Go-Pro for some underwater shots :?
IMG_6065.JPG
IMG_6067-1.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
IMG_6070.JPG
IMG_6072-1.JPG
IMG_6084-1.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG
IMG_6105.JPG
dmb
Mod

Post by dmb »

Nice pics Cam. A bit nostalgic for me seeing you travelling the top end. Glad you can get back to it after the bad news about your Dad. All the best mate.
Squat, place chin on chest, tuck head and tip forward, shoulders connect with ground and back follows through, legs go over the top and feet land on the ground. That's how I roll!
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Thanks Dave

I managed to finally leave Mission Beach early arvo on Friday and spied a Cassowary on my way out. This area is known as the Cassowary Coast but there aren't many of them left (they aren't the sharpest of animals and I imagine a fair number have been hit by cars...)
IMG_6108.JPG
Farking hot and humid run down to Townsville - two weeks out of the bus and I need to get used to it again! I had to stop 2/3 of the way in for a nap and a quick clutch adjustment as the gears were becoming hard to engage.

Stayed the night in Brownsville at the Beach House Motel on The Strand - great place on the foreshore at a budget price.

Got away around 8.30am heading South and stopped of briefly in Ayr and also Bowen for a quick look and of course couldn't go past the Big Mango!
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG
A bloody hot day again and was glad to get to Airlie Beach by around 1pm - I pulled in at a little seaside cafe for a bit and then chucked a lap down the main drag to plenty of backpacker thumbs up. Found my friends place which was in a cracking spot 5 minutes walk from the action with a great view!
IMG_6114.JPG
Quickly proceeded to join their balcony festivities and get pissed :mrgreen:
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Sunday started with eggs and bacon thank god !

I took myself for a walk around town and then lobbed at the swimming lagoon to enjoy the eye candy and a swim 8)
IMG_6122.JPG
IMG_6116-1.JPG
IMG_6120.JPG
That afternoon we hit one of the local bars to check out some live music. There is a great laid back vibe in this place and a good mix of backpackers and us older folk :roll:

Monday was spent on a boat tour checking out Whitehaven Beach, Swirling Sands etc - Unfortunately it was overcast but at least the weather had cooled off a little!
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6137-1.JPG
IMG_6139.JPG
A great sunset on one side and the supermoon rising on the other
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6149.JPG
foxworth
DSKer

Post by foxworth »

Fantastic mate.
Keep the updates coming, brings a smile to my face while looking at a screen and sitting in an office all day.......
Sorry to hear about your dad, all the best.
Andrew
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

So yesterday was a long boring stint from Airlie to Rockhampton. I was going to stop in to Mackay to catch up with someone but is working in Brisvegas this week so I threw caution to the wind and kept on trucking. Not much in the way of pics but found this funny little joint opposite the public toilet in a little town called Calen.
IMG_6154.JPG
I left Rocky this morning about 9.30 after grabbing a few things and headed south again. About half way to Agnes Waters I spied this little cafe & curio shop in a place called Benaraby with this rat rod out the front. Some cool stuff inside and I found a couple of things to buy.
IMG_6158.JPG
IMG_6159.JPG
IMG_6160.JPG
IMG_6161.JPG
Pushed on again after lunch and into Agnes Water / 1770. Decided to stay at the Agnes Waters caravan park as it seemed to have the nicest beach just out the front! I thought I was going to be the coolest kid here but a couple of other cars pulled in and I'm not so sure! :shock:
IMG_6170.JPG
IMG_6174.JPG
IMG_6171.JPG
I'm hoping some swell might develop tomorrow! Be nice to get the board wet.
Attachments
IMG_6175.JPG
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

You're certainly doing it in style champ!

My first car was an XL station wagon - my mate and I went halves in it for $15 each when we were 15 and drove it around the back of theGolden Fleece servo on weekends next to where he used to live. Ahhh, good times...!
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Squidy
DSKer

Post by Squidy »

Good camp site that one, the owners a character if you get to chat to him, he'll be able to tell you what's happening with the swell, saw a heap of his pics on his computer from surfing the local breaks / reefs
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Thanks Squidy - I've discovered that 20 years of living in Darwin with no swell has dulled whatever small amount of surfing ability I had as a kid!

Sunny Coasters - anyone up for a beer and bite on this coming Thursday night? Closer to the Brisvegas end of the coast would be better if possible....

Cheers
Squidy
DSKer

Post by Squidy »

Cam Biscuit wrote:Thanks Squidy - I've discovered that 20 years of living in Darwin with no swell has dulled whatever small amount of surfing ability I had as a kid!

Sunny Coasters - anyone up for a beer and bite on this coming Thursday night? Closer to the Brisvegas end of the coast would be better if possible....

Cheers
I like beer, what an awesome excuse to get the buses out ! See what I can do
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Cheers Sqiddy

I dropped in through Hervey Bay for the night and then into Maryborough briefly before heading out to see Geoff Scott aka The Kombi Whisperer in Yerra about 20 kays away. If you are in need of an engine I can certainly recommend Geoff's work.
IMG_6187.JPG
Geoff had built the engine a while back and he gave it a tune, as well as addressing the leak at the rear left which turned out to be the axle seal - I suspect the brake cylinder wasn't leaking after all and probably didn't need replacing but anyway....
IMG_6194.JPG
I camped the night in Geoff's shed and had a visit from one of his mates!
IMG_6195-1.JPG
IMG_6205.JPG
After we were done the old girl was running like a top and I headed back into Maryborough for a bit more of a look around. I found this heritage listed old store that shut in 1972 that is like a time capsule inside and really well worth a look. so much cool stuff in there. It was apparently in the same family for 101 years and after that time the old owner just shut the doors with all the old stock in there and then died a year later. The National Trust stepped in and it opened as a museum in the 1990's after about 15 years of work cataloging the stuff and repairing the building.
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6212-1.JPG
IMG_6213-1.JPG
Last edited by Cam Biscuit on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Thats a cool building,nice find Cam
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Then on to beautiful Rainbow Beach. Funnily enough I found this Kombi driving bloke called Geoff down there :shock: :wink:
IMG_6226-1.JPG
IMG_6231-1.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6245-1.JPG
IMG_6247.JPG
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Hey Squidy

Did you get any other takers for a catch up on Thursday night?
Squidy
DSKer

Post by Squidy »

Cam Biscuit wrote:Hey Squidy

Did you get any other takers for a catch up on Thursday night?
Sorry mate, been flat out and forgot !
Anyone keen ?
When you passing through , your welcome to come say g'day or grab a beer tomorrow arvo if your free ??
Maybe some of the other Sunny Coast lads may also be keen