Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Re: Road Trip - Darwin to the East Coast

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Sounds good Jockster

A few more from Byron. Other than the traffic its hard not to like this place!
IMG_6334.JPG
IMG_6335-1.JPG
About an hour after I took these pics at Wategos Beach the wind really picked up so I threw caution to the wind and drove down to Lennox Head to try out hang gliding ........until it got too windy :shock:
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6340-1.JPG
Got down as far as Skinners Head after that for a look around and then back through Suffolk Park.
IMG_6348-1.JPG
IMG_6355.JPG
Today I headed south after a cracking massage from a lovely lady in Bangelow. Driving into Ballina to catch up with a guy I've done work for back in Darwin, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. I was able to nurse it a couple of kays further with the help of traffic lights working in my favour and then pulled into a side street close to the river. After lunch I got under and had a look but everything from the clutch pedal to the gearbox was intact so I'm assuming either the clutch fork or pivot pin must have broken.....
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Back on the road again - engine out and......nothing broken at all :shock: So like UFO's and other mysteries this one will go into history as a WTF? It was a good chance to sort a couple of maintenance issues I had been meaning to get to as well like greasing the front end, adjusting up the brakes etc. and Curt did make a bit of a mod to the clutch cable to shorten its effective length.

I'm convinced I needed to spend more time here and the Universe made it happen :idea: In all seriousness nothing but good has happened to me since the breakdown and I've met some fantastic people. There's something going on around here :shock: :D

So if you need a good mechanic in the Byron / Ballina / Hinterland area give Curt Bryant a buzz on 0468 928 466. He was recommended to me by a couple of guys on the board and I can see why. Very obliging and easy to get on with, does good work and doesn't charge the earth. He does work mobile as well.

Thanks also to Splitwit (Don) for being a bloody legend!

PS I haven't left Byron yet...........
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

You should stay....knew those guys would look after you. This time of year is flat out for me, working 6 12 plus hour days... And 4 kids, no time to play
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Love reading this thread
Keep the updates coming
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Saw a few splitties in Byron and got to check out Splitwit (Dons) Deluxe!
IMG_6390-1.JPG
IMG_6403-1.JPG
So from Byron I popped into Bunjalung National Park and then Iluka and then down to Yamba for the night.
IMG_6420.JPG
IMG_6421.JPG
The new morning I headed out to Angourie for a look as its a bit of a surfing hotspot - not the morning I was was there! Flat as a tack! Some girls in a beetle stopped for a chat 8)
IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_6434.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

From there south again stopping at a couple of little spots along the way including Arrawarra Headland.

Then into Coffs and a quick visit to Dions to check out his stash...someone please buy his single cab otherwise I might have to.....bloody love it!
IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
Urunga, Sawtel, Belonged and then Port Macquarie the next day to catch up with another mate who's recently moved down from Brisbane.
IMG_6464-1.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG
IMG_6471.JPG
Then into Seal Rocks in the Myall Lakes area. So many beautiful places in this Northen Rivers area, it really is a stunning place and it would be easy to spend a lot more time here.
IMG_6484.JPG
IMG_6492.JPG
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Great photos Cam.
Looks like an epic trip 8)
58 Flash
66 11 Window
69 Single Cab
19 Arteon
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Out into Maitland today and a little place called Morpeth to trace some family history and then on to Bathurst via what I though was a short cut but really really wasn't .........took me about 5 hours to cover about 300 kays :shock: including one section of dirt road and some serious up and down work. High 30's temps and strong gusty winds made for a long afternoon. Thankfully it got a bit cooler about 90 kays from Bathurst, and there are a few drops of rain around now and rain predicted for tomorrow.
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6505-1.JPG
Little gold town of Sofala
IMG_6506.JPG
I finally made it into Bathurst about 6ish in time to to a quick lap of Mt Panorama and a big tick off the bucket list :D
IMG_6507.JPG
I've decided to stay inland for a few days and head down through Wagga Wagga, Albury Wodonga, Bendigo etc to Geelong and then to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road
ogrule
DSKer

Post by ogrule »

Really enjoying you photos
Griffin
DSKer

Post by Griffin »

a great read and some good pics, safe travels
Gordon
http://www.allaircooled.com.au
63 SC my daily driver
62 11 window
60 23
59 SC (project)
68 Country Buggy KO329

56 shorty kombi-sold now a Retro RV
68 Country Buggy KO418 (sold)
67 PMG sold - sold
61 Karmann Ghia - (the wifes) sold
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Cheers guys. Today was the first day since I left Darwin in October that I wore jeans! Needed a jumper as well :shock: Cool and wet

The first stop of the day was the National Motor Racing Museum just near the track to sniff some petrol!
IMG_6530-1.JPG
IMG_6515-1.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG
Then on through the rain to Cowra and a visit to the Japanese Garden which was stunning.
IMG_6533-1.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG
IMG_6540.JPG
All being good I'll be in Geelong by Saturday around lunchtime - Anyone want to grab a bite? I'm on 0456 611 422
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Bypassing Canberra???? Nothing to see here haha
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Clutch has gone again.....waiting for a tow truck to come :cry: Is there any air cooled mechanics in Bendigo? It would have to go on a Friday arvo.....fark

If anyone can help with a contact I'm on 0456 611 422
kombiwhisperer
DSKer

Post by kombiwhisperer »

Bendigo is nice this time of year :shock:

Has your box got the spout that throw-out bearing slides on, if so may be jamming up and not releasing clutch

Give me a yell if ya need any bits
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Hi Geoff

Short answer is dunno mate! - its a '67 big nut RGB transmission.

Cheers