60 11 window

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

splitthis
DSKer

Re: 60 11 window

Post by splitthis »

I must be overdue for an update, i'll take some progress pics and get on here soon and post some pics of what I have done lately but to get you excited here is a few pics of the bad stuff on the drivers door.

Here is the worst section, an exciting combination of rust and dodgy accident repairs.

This was the inside, and you can see the rotten strengthener that I was trying to find in the classifieds recently.

Top hinge had been broken off, welded back on and had a plate welded over the top of it all.

Bottom hinge had ripped out but was reasonably solid.

Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Ok so top hinge first, after i removed the welded on hinge I was looking at this

So repaired the frame first

Then a bit of donor door to fix the outer frame which also needed a little repair

For some reason I didn't get any progress pics of the mech area repair

I couldn't find a donor for the inner (you hoarding bastards suck :D )

So I was forced to fab something up. Now a sane person would have taken into consideration that it will never be seen and just used bent something at 90 degrees in 5 minutes and called it done......I give you three hours of my life.

came up pretty well though and is super strong, considering how flogged that area was it could use all the strength I can give it.

I also had to replace one of the skin reinforcers that was loose and patch a few little areas.

Im waiting on my hinges to come back from Pat and then i'll get them on and start on the skin, I have brand new KF skin this time so hopefully its a bit easier.
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Nice work as always Matt
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Good work mate, waiting on the hinge from Pat? I’ve been waiting for him to put a bush in my clutch pedal, gave it to him late November, said he do it that week, sometimes I think it is my fault because I always know what is going to happen but I keep going back, and I never get angry at him, I ended up putting another pedal in. Want me to find a hinge for you?
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

splitthis wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 pm I must be overdue for an update, i'll take some progress pics and get on here soon and post some pics of what I have done lately but to get you excited here is a few pics of the bad stuff on the drivers door.

Here is the worst section, an exciting combination of rust and dodgy accident repairs.

This was the inside, and you can see the rotten strengthener that I was trying to find in the classifieds recently.

Top hinge had been broken off, welded back on and had a plate welded over the top of it all.

Bottom hinge had ripped out but was reasonably solid.

You are well overdue, anyone would think you are juggling a young family and full time work!

Everything looks great Matt keep the updates coming :D
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

That’s bloody epic!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Wiz I have started chasing him up so hopefully not too long, he has always sorted me pretty quick

Beatts we should have been hanging out much longer, all these other Adelaide guys are pricks :D .

One cool thing i didn't mention before is that the donor door I have been using came from Rory in Vic who pulled it off of Big Daves bus after he sold it. For those of you that don't know, Big Daves old bus was an Adelaide staple for years. Daily driven, often seen with lengths of wood on the racks on a way to a job or loaded up with the kids on a school run, It was one of the very first splits I remember seeing on the road and i used to see it all the time. Stoked to hack a little bit of that bus into mine, and the rest of the door is back off to Big Daves place as wall art/donor sections for his 55.
63661553754__70594017-9D5C-4B7E-B46E-E14E3B960C34.jpg
63661553754__70594017-9D5C-4B7E-B46E-E14E3B960C34.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Ive been working on rebuilding a 38 amp generator for the bus too. Ill get some pics up of that once it's all together. I stripped it down at work on night shift last week and I'm just collecting all the bits i need to give it a freshen up.
rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

Awesome work as always mate
Cheers for the door back, it’ll definitely come in handy
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

I'm still waiting on my hinges to come back but decided to push ahead on the door skin for the previously repaired drivers door. First job was to graft in the handle support from the OG skin to the KF skin.
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Then prepared the skin and frame to reduce the chance of rust down the track.
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (217.3 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
The skin went on pretty well, It's been folded over on the three edges and then plug welded every 100mm and it's plug welded every 40mm across the top. The skin looks awesome, they're expensive but if you have a beat up door like I did it's a great option.
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (211.77 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (209.68 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
I still need to grind back the welds and also make a few tweaks as well as sorting out the hinges but I'm very happy with how it has come up. The welding list is getting shorter and shorter. I started on the door top while I was waiting for paint to dry, that's going to be more work than I thought but I think i've got it sorted. Will update when I have some pics worth looking at.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

It's been an epic build Matt - at least your now closer to the end than the start...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

morts wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pm It's been an epic build Matt - at least your now closer to the end than the start...
I can almost smell the paint.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I can almost smell the paint.
[/quote]
I can almost smell the Add, you told Cooper last November that if it’s not painted next year I’m going to sell it, time to waits for no one Grasshopper, 7 months left!
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

If it’s not READY for paint next year I’ll sell it. Can’t help it if the painter has a line up.
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

No , No, No, you said LAST year “ if it’s not ready for paint paint next year ( which is now this year) I will sell it “, and that would include having a painter lined up!, come on mate I have heard the I’m going to paint it next year when I first met you on the Revolks trip in 2018. Ian
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Haha can’t rush some things :oops: . It’s not for lack of want I assure you. I’m very nearly there :lol:
Last edited by splitthis on Tue May 04, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.