1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Got the machining done at work on the child restraint bar that goes across behind the rock and roll seat. Should have some pics in the next day or two. Front suspension is finalised, just getting some drawings of how the tubbing needs to go, but basically including the doors. Also thought I would post a couple of pics of the CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) of the rear, which is coming up nicely. It is using standard Commodore rear discs to make it easy to get parts. Bummer I missed Coopers show too!!

Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Nice work. Loving the progress pics and updates.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Wow, your CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) :D work is coming along nicely.
What's your rough eta on getting this on the road ? End of year in the picture ?
Going to be real nice to clock up some big klm's on it
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi, mate, thanks, a bit of a little buzz today as the engineer signed off on the rear child restraint bar and also how we want to mount the headrests. Also have done a drawing to get the rear discs re-drilled to the 130x5, after which I can 100% confirm the offset I need for the calliper mount. Slow and steady wins the race.

I am sort of hoping (hope is not a strategy!!) that maybe toward the end of this year. I am very close to sending it back for paint, the race is on to get all the stuff done that requires welding before that. Pretty much the only thing left is to tidy up the welds on the CRA lower mount bar, and I drew up the coil-over top mount and got the plates laser cut. In two minds whether to have a crack at welding them up or give them to someone who knows what they are doing with a tIg given how much load they are under. They then need to be positioned and welded to the chassis.

vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Every thing looks to be going along fine, but I think you should bolt those shocker mounts on instead of welding them to the chassis, that way they will never crack off, worse case senario would be it would bend the chassis, maybe a beefier version of the Creative Engineering shocker mounts would work, with a decent inner size chassis plate. Ian
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi Ian, I am sort of tied in the respect by what the engineer wants. Given the load they are under as they take the spring so the whole weight of the car, I guess it's why he wants the fully welded. With the engineering, some things it's better to just go with than fight :D. Btw loving the ute mate!!
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Thanks, and you’re bus is coming along nicely
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Youre handbrake idea is cool as. Also moving the gear lever. Love it.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Made up a tool I have had an idea for, for a little while. Seems getting the rear wheel bearing out isn't easy, and some googling didn't turn up anything I was happy with. I love laser cutting for the cheapness of what you get, so whilst I was getting the plates done for the rear coil-over top mount I designed up a puller. I made it with 8 fingers, not sure tbh you need all 8. But I came up with a sort of twist-lock idea, with a top plate that holds it all together. Works a treat and should make the occasions i need to pull the bearings that bit easier.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Double post, sorry
Last edited by splitthis on Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

That’s an awesome looking tool mate well done, I love making stuff like this…..should really help with the two times you ever need to take them out :lol:
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Lol, already pulled them out half a dozen times working out this suspension. And fucked two bearings doing it, hence the tool. As I say apart from my time it pretty much cost me nicks :D
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I think it’s a great idea, and the best part is now we know where we can borrow one, and a tip for your final assembly is to get fully sealed bearings
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Happy to share the laser cutting file if anyone wants. Thanks for the tip re the seals.
red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Mate that tool is awesome, I need to pop over soon and check out all this progress in person
Way too many projects