1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

067DUB
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by 067DUB »

Agreed, what a fantastic build , well done!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks, people, I really do appreciate the kind words. Now that we can work around the actual fitment, the tubs have been adjusted and it's looking very likely that the seating height won't change much, if at all. We have been able to narrow the tubs, so widen the original height piece in the middle so your butt sits inward of the tubs. This video (click the link) is at absolute full bump, and we haven't rolled the inner guard yet. So I just could not be happier. Rear trailing arms are being fabricated as we speak.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/9izFCZseFt4?feature=share[/youtube]
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Nothing huge but we are wanting to try and make the tubs look as factory as possible. Not the usual DSK level of course!! Just first glance to a casual observer not too out of place. So Dan has been playing around after making up a die and stamping ribs. Hopefully turns out how we are hoping, so far so good I think.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

And the finished articles.
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

They have come up a treat, nice work
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Just been out to see progress. I think this is just about when fabrication crosses the line to art. The skills of these guys to hand fabricate these tubs form a flat sheet of steel is epic. And I sit inboard of them so there will be no effect of seat height at all.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Looking forward to how you deal with the doors, those tubs go out wide! Pressings make a huge difference to vibration sound too so will be a big improvement not just visually.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
Cheeseboard
DSKer

Post by Cheeseboard »

splitthis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:27 pm Looking forward to how you deal with the doors, those tubs go out wide! Pressings make a huge difference to vibration sound too so will be a big improvement not just visually.
Part of the joy of driving a split is the vibrating sound that you continue to hear well after turning the engine off.
Ideas man
Minister for Finance
Scared of wife finding out what I’ve spent
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

splitthis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:27 pm Looking forward to how you deal with the doors, those tubs go out wide! Pressings make a huge difference to vibration sound too so will be a big improvement not just visually.
Cheers, yea the doors are actually quite straightforward. The inner frame is sliced and moved up by the depth of the tubs. So the thin lower part of the door instead of being say 15mm deep is 50mm if that makes sense. I like the clean look of the tubs when the door is open, so we will move the lower part of the door seal to be located on the door, not the car. Again it will be done so it looks like it came that way. Agreed, there is also a strengthening box section under the tubs where there is normally on the dogleg, just narrower and ribbed for strength. The tubs have to be that wide, it doesn't make sense to me to tub it when it can still foul at turn or bump, it's a half-assed job. And no need to narrow the front track as the handling implications of that aren't good either.
Last edited by VRSenator065 on Sat May 21, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheeseboard wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:47 amPart of the joy of driving a split is the vibrating sound that you continue to hear well after turning the engine off.
If I haven't demonstrated by now that's not my jam, not sure what would convince you!! To each their own :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Bit more progress on the tubs, really happy with how they are turning out. Just way past my skill level to do something like this. In a way quite nice to just ask for something and someone else makes it happen!! It's all only roughed out at this stage so they will neaten it up, but hopefully, the pic of the doors shows how we are doing it. All things being equal both sides will be close to finished at the end of next week and we may get to see it on the ground with both front wheels on for the first time since I brought it home :D
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Mate this build is just next level!

After having the DC for over 10 years and finally getting it running and registered I'm having a break from splitties and building a couple of beetles. When I'm done with them I might borrow your tubbing method as I've got the red9 front and rear ends which have a standard width track.

Keep up the great work.
61 dc
67 beetle
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

I started leaning toward the red 9, but IMO it's very very good but a compromise. It was going to cost me a lot to have it engineered, and the way the steering shaft sits so low and is exposed is a problem, the turning circle is also compromised. It uses the factory mounting only, which wasn't designed to take the loads out of a coil over. From my point of view, dropping serious $$ on a suspension that still has limitations didn't make sense. That's just my point of view btw...
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

VRSenator065 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:22 pm I started leaning toward the red 9, but IMO it's very very good but a compromise. It was going to cost me a lot to have it engineered, and the way the steering shaft sits so low and is exposed is a problem, the turning circle is also compromised. It uses the factory mounting only, which wasn't designed to take the loads out of a coil over. From my point of view, dropping serious $$ on a suspension that still has limitations didn't make sense. That's just my point of view btw...
Lucky I bought it 10 years ago when it was less expensive and the Aussie dollar was at parity (still doesn't rectify the short comings mentioned but a bit easier to swallow)
61 dc
67 beetle
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

If the Red9 were 1/2 or 2/3 the price they are now like you got it for you would have to seriously consider it. It would have left enough in the kitty to make some changes that might at least reduce some of the compromises. As a designer I am familiar with the issue people like Red9 have, to make it commercially viable they need to make it fit as many models and ride heights etc as possible, so compromises inevitably creep in. Going down the custom route like I have isn't for the faint-hearted, but at least its literally designed 100% around my use and set up etc.