My turquoise eleven window bus

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

joshroom
DSKer

Re: My turquoise eleven window bus

Post by joshroom »

Thanks guys, yeah Klaus I will try doing the same on the drivers side, nothin beats O.G tin. I spent a few hours pulling out the heater pipe "y" section yesterday and because it had rusted through in places and needs to come out for a decent fix. left the camera at the shed but.

Last edited by joshroom on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Keep the photos coming Josh, this is gold.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Great work Josh...
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
joshroom
DSKer

Post by joshroom »

Cheers boys did a bit more today, This is where the LH rear outrigger welds to, I had originally cleaned and painted over this bit of chassis but decided I better cut it out and replace it as it was fairly pitted.

I got that ugly old farm hack crossmember cut out. The inner rear chassis was looking pretty shitty so I cut it out and plated it up after blowing out a couple of kilos of red dirt and giving it some anti-rust treatment.

Post by johnno77 »

Great work as usual jelly beans. 8)
joshroom
DSKer

Post by joshroom »

Cheers big jaffas! its dirty work, but I don't need to tell you about it. More of the same on the RH side this arvo.

Post by joshroom »

Cut out a bit more of the floor and cleaned up the rear torsion housing and noticed the weld securing the clutch an accelerator cable tubes to the little bracket had broken away. So cleaned em up an welded them back down.

Post by joshroom »

I ended up cutting out the the rear top hat section, I had originally cut away the rusty end and extended it but I thought because I would have to do the same on the RH side I'd just cut it out and put one complete piece in. Well that wasn't my best idea, It took way longer than expected an it didn't help that rather than just cut the slots in the top hat for the shifter and hand brake tubes, I (a.k.a dickhead) decided it was a good idea to try an do it like the factory. It turned out nice but not worth the time an effort. Also got the LH rear outrigger welded in.

Post by Greypow »

Great to meet you yesterday and look at your project. I was impressed with your attention to detail. Looks great. Thanks for the IRS gear that gives me a great start for my 65. Cheers
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

Nice work mate, makes me want to get back out in the shed ;)
joshroom
DSKer

Post by joshroom »

Likewise Graham all the best with your bus mate. Thanks Niko good to see your hooking into your bus, I got a few decent burns today welding on my back underneath my bus an thought, I shoulda built a rotisserie like that Niko bloke! hahahaha but my shed isn't tall enough anyway.

I got my last outrigger welded in this arvo. I didn't have a RH rear outrigger but I did have an old front outrigger that I had cut off because I didn't like the fit, and because the rear ones aren't as long I was able to measure up, cut it, and fold up some new returns on it. Problem is the angle is slightly different so it finishes a few mm's high on the chassis but shouldn't matter still strong.

Post by kombi niko »

Burns you say? Man every time I'm welding I come back in the house looking like a bush fire victim. Think I need a new welder too, mines a old SIP150 and boy is it shit!! wire feed motors a possessed freak.
foxworth
DSKer

Post by foxworth »

inspiring stuff, just what I need to start doing.
thanks for the pic's helps heaps with what Im doing.
joshroom
DSKer

Post by joshroom »

Cheers boys, Did a bit more this arvo. Cut off that old repair on the heater tube and welded on a section from a bay window, enough to pass through the rear crossmember so I can weld in another section at a later time. Ground off the remaining floor of the rear top hat.
prepping up the crossmember, four 7mm holes 20mm apart, sometimes I get the die grinder and open the holes up a bit more. sorta dragging the hole towards the bend.
After a trial fit I found the rear flanges had a pretty big gap so I flattened them out and refolded them a bit shorter.
Got everything welded in an primed.
This is my next challenge, the rear cargo door gap gets super tight at the bottom. Its had a bump and a rough repair job. I'm thinking the lower hinge might be bent. This pics shows a 6mm notching disc at the top and a 1mm cutting disc jammed in the bottom. got a feeling this bit will slow me down.

Post by mat54 »

Nice work josh
Very detailed
What are you using as a primer ? That red stuff
And theres a bit of grey stuff as well.
Do you treat the metal first before it goes on?
Sorry for all the questions but i want the double cab to look half as nice .....;-)
Cheers
Steffen