Existing member just got their Split Wings

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

68BUS
DSKer

Existing member just got their Split Wings

Post by 68BUS »

Hey Folks,
I have been around here for a little bit. Been trying to restore a couple of lowlights but due to wanting to spend more of my down time with the family than getting welding slag in my ears they stagnated.

So for the last 6 months I have been looking for a driving split to jump ship too.
It has finally happened.
Meet Evie (I use 'Meet' losely as most of you probably know her already).

So this is the Story of how we came to be her new custodians;

My wife was down the coast a few weeks ago and sent me this photo with the by line "I like this one" (Girls got taste!)

Turns out it was Juri's Bus and he listed it for sale 2 weeks later.
BIG BIG shout out to Juri. Top bloke. We spoke and struck a gentlemens agreement on the price. Juri was good enough to turn down other higher offers and keep to his word. He picked me and my father in law up at the air port and took us back to his where we had a good look over it and a chat followed by and hand shake and off we went.

Took off from Newcastle at about 5pm (straight to Autobarn for supplies) then back to Brisbane.

The entire trip Evie ran so well (Thank you cold night air). Sat happily on 110km/hr the entire way (even got to 122km at one stage). Only 3 hills beat her, one dropped her down to 68 and the others about 85. (BTW, when drafting splits behind truck the wipers lift off, so not good if its was raining).

The only issue we had the whole way was the cold. We were like popsickles in the bus. (should have listened to my wife and packed more!!!).
This summs it up, I got out for a driver change and the backdrop was nice so I took a photo. I think on reflection I may have been shivering a bit much for photography!!

The only other issue was finding a servo at 1am. Ran out of fuel on the highway. Fortunately we bought a Jerrycan at Autobahn so it was only a 2 minute delay.

Got back to brissy at 3:30am. Ears ringing from the howling wind.

Next moring the family said there hello's.
(daddy bomb)

Fitted a Baby Seat Point and off we went to our first non Mazda VW Meet (Action Day).
Followed by an afternoon of champayne and nibbles with friends watching a Mt Cootha Sunset.

So Overall, Very happy little camper.
Now I just have to go through the QLD redtape of getting it legal up here within the 2week period and I'm right. (don't see any issues with that).

NOW, the plans... So going to strip it back and make it shiny....... NOOOOOO!.

It looks like under there somewhere is a lot of the oringinal white paint. So it will be tedious but I think I will slowly try to expose that and then give it a coat of Ankor Wax.
Add some accessories to make carrying boards and kids a bit easier and thats about it. (Oh, and maybe some safari windows when I raise the funds).
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice bus mate, :!:
resinmonkey
DSKer

Post by resinmonkey »

nice score - well done 8)
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Congrats, nice score.... Add "change avatar" to list of things to do :D
61 dc
67 beetle
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Well done all round by the sounds of it...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

good work , juri spent a bit of time on the old girl , a trick with wind noise on the inside , remove the overhead vent cover and sikaflex the join from the airbox to the roof and check the rubber flap inside to make sure its adjusted right as it can move a little if its just been replaced ..Enjoy
Straight axle is better than IRS
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Cool, Thanks for the tip. The seals all round need to be replaced and I will do some rust prevention when I do. They all leak a bit which is understandable.

No biggi for now. The first points of call for me is to install a gear stick & handbrake extention I think. Help out my ape like driving posture a bit.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

froger
DSKer

Post by froger »

Good stuff . Got to give it a good test run as well .. I took a pic of your Bus on Sunday at the action meet . Thought it looked familiar ..
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Sweet bus mate, can't wait to see the ratty rack fitted 8)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Looks like a great bus!
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

congrats mate great looking bus
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

CHECK OUT ......... www.kustomkombi.com
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Great stuff, it looks great !
baldwithabeard
DSKer

Post by baldwithabeard »

sounds like a familiar tale! Love the patina and saw it first hand at Wynnum on the weekend. :shock:
I have done the same rego bit if you need any help...nice to see another Brisbane bus.
Greg
Along, long time ago in Sandy Hollow...
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

I didn't see you black bus there Baldy. What were you driving?
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

thebear
DSKer

Post by thebear »

Saw her in the car park last. Nice. Great story. Great misses for spotting it!!!
The ad said rust only in the usual places...
71 Type 3 wagon "Paddy"
65 11 window "Manfred" by DAS
56 Panel. One day......