Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

KombiMadness
DSKer

Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post by KombiMadness »

OK, I was trying to hold back until it was actually in my driveway... But I'm like a kid who's busting his gut because Christmas just can't come soon enough!!!
My Christmas is the arrival of my dry & original West Coast USA '58 15 Window Deluxe - and I just can't wait that long so I am posting it here somewhat prematurely.....

At the moment, it is getting sorted with new or re-built goodies - all new seals, wheel cylinders & M/C, brake lines, brake drums machined, new wiring harness and fuse box, swapping from generator to alternator, rebuilt king pin/ spindles & steering box by Steve @ Wolfgang, 6 new stainless Wolfgang pop-outs, 12 volt armature for wiper motor, ignition switch, etc, etc, etc - whatever can be saved and reused will be, but if it's rusted, corroded or damaged it's getting replaced! All the good stuff from Wolfgang, Wolfberg West, CB Performance, etc. Apart from the '68 Beetle 1600sp, it will be pretty stock & original (apart from 12 volt conversion)- for now!

Original paint (Sealing Wax Red/Beige Grey) was uncovered by previous owner.

KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Some more...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnercla ... 993544544/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnercla ... 150722695/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnercla ... 150729003/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnercla ... 349197419/

Donor clip is not off a Deluxe but pretty simple to drill attachment holes on the nose skin to fit Deluxe V trim piece and cut hole (very carefully & in exact position) in the dash to fit deluxe OG clock & grab handle....
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

One of the things I like about US Kombis is that the M plate gives precise details on the individual vehicle, rather than a vague idea from Chassis # only. Even VW's own records are sketchy, as can be attested to by people who have paid for a 'Birth Certificate' from the Volkswagen AutoMuseum and been unhappy with inaccurate results... and I'm not just talking about Aussie buses. Plenty of Europeans & Americans have had sketchy results from that process!

But the M plate don't lie! Luckily, October 1958 was when M plates were first affixed to US Kombis. Mine was 'born' (or at least it's planned production date) on - 28 10 8; it was shipped to LA so you know when PO tells you it spent it's entire life in the West, odds are he's not telling porkies (it's original, rust free body tells that story, anyway); original colour was SWR/BG; and it came with slash end US spec overrider bumpers which were just introduced for the first time, around October 1958 and it came with 6 pop-outs as opposed to the Aussie 2.

This Kombi comes with new Gerson pressed bumpers and fittings; not 100% correct but I'll run with it..... it seems 2 months earlier, around August '58, is when VW changed from pressed to slash end in the US. Makes sense - August is the start of next year's model run...
Last edited by KombiMadness on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

nice score now the waiting game begin :)
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Did you check it out in the fleash or was deal done by remote control..?

Looks like a good bus regardless... 8)
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

That's cool mate, congrats
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

CHECK OUT ......... www.kustomkombi.com
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Deal was done by 'remote control' but I had negotiated or enquired about 10 or so Kombis in the US over a twelve month period, gotten a really good handle on the sellers that were fair dinkum and the ones who were tossers or posers....
I spoke many, many, times to the owner on the phone, and a good friend of his - both have been in the Cal Vee Dub scene a long time; the friend also sells bits and bobs on The Samba and has all good feedback - and just got a good feeling about them and everything they said, was straight & no bullshit.
Also, I spoke to Robert Skinner from Vacaville Body shop (he is a Bus fanatic himself) who did the front clip replacement, asked for his independent assessment of the Kombi. He said he could only comment on the shell but that it was in amazing condition.....
At the end of the day, there's an element of risk involved for sure, but I'm no spring chicken, I've lived all over the world and I think I've got a pretty good Bullshit metre....
And of course, I checked out about 50 detailed photos of it. So there you have it...
Even in the US, late 50's 15 Window Deluxes ain't exactly plentiful, so I knew I had to suss it out quickly... and go with my gut!
Last edited by KombiMadness on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

FrankenCab wrote:nice score now the waiting game begin :)
Bloody right, Klaus.... :D

And I'm not very good at waiting! :lol: :lol:
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Looks very cool, now no roof jumping when you get it :wink:
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

splitbus wrote:Looks very cool, now no roof jumping when you get it :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon Mike, not even 1 little roof jump....
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

a photo MUST be taken with a roof jump, you know, for science.. nice one mate..
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Cool, another 15 soon to be rolling around.....
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

Markus,

Looks like a nice solid base to be working from. Will it be a driving and ready to go by the time it gets here? When are you expecting it to arrive?

Cheers

Steve
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Yes driving and ready to be NSW blue slipped when it arrives. That's the plan!

Won't be arriving for a month or longer :( don't have a date yet....