62 split project

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Frogsta
DSKer

!

Post by Frogsta »

Yay, there is no better feeling.
I bet you are having a beer right now and grinning from ear to eer...
well I am if your not.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

Thanks fellas
Was at department of transport about 10am and the kids and i pretty much drove all day.
I've got a massive smile on my face :D

Dropped by a mates wheel shop and had the white wall inserts fitted.

GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

CHECK OUT ......... www.kustomkombi.com
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

hey glen,
mate check the young fella's smile out in the back window... poor fella looks shattered... :wink:
probably went to sleep with the same cheeky grin :lol:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
thebear
DSKer

Post by thebear »

Hi glen, nicebus and top job with the story. Great to see another SEQ bus on the road. Just curious, did the DoT actually check the bus or just except the RWC? Do you have any mods blue plated?

Fingers crossed I'll be doing this in 6 months with something similar so keen to know how harsh big brother is.......
The ad said rust only in the usual places...
71 Type 3 wagon "Paddy"
65 11 window "Manfred" by DAS
56 Panel. One day......
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

Shaven the little bloke and hs sister spent the best part of the day chillin in the bus. Even when we went home for lunch they stayed and ate in the bus. I guess it's better than not wanting to be in there at all.

TheBear, I have a mod plate for the seatbelts and the RnR bed. The chick at qld transport was happy with the paper work. Guess it was my lucky day, when I rego'd my bay 3 years ago I got the full check over and runaround.
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

baykruzer wrote:Shaven the little bloke and hs sister spent the best part of the day chillin in the bus. Even when we went home for lunch they stayed and ate in the bus. I guess it's better than not wanting to be in there at all.
mate fantastic that they could spend the day doing it as a family...
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
resol
DSKer

Post by resol »

wooohooooooooooo

As said B4.................DUCK NUTTS (gutts) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job M8 and she looks awesome M8
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cruising here we come!!!!!!!!!!!
71 Lowie Dlx "Chubby"
CRUISE TIL YA BUTTS BRUISE :)
thebear
DSKer

Paint and panel questions

Post by thebear »

Just re read this thread. WOW. 3 years in the making, almost to the day. Congratulations Glen.

A few questions re your paint and panel.

1. To match the panel repairs to the original, did you use a colour matched spray can?
2. What process have you used to get the shine on the original paint? wet/dry sandpaper, steel wool, polish, penetrol? In what order?
3. What process has been used over the sections of undercoat and bare metal?
4. Does this look require continual maintenance, if so what, and how often?

Appreciate your advice. I am hoping Manfred (see members rides) will have a similar look.

Thanks

PS - did you finish the house reno's from 2009?
The ad said rust only in the usual places...
71 Type 3 wagon "Paddy"
65 11 window "Manfred" by DAS
56 Panel. One day......
Funbags
DSKer

Post by Funbags »

If that was my kid you wouldn't get him out, not even after lunch, he'd be staying put for the night... but he'd have to move ova for his dad tho.. :wink:
Bet the weekend will be unforgettable for your family, good memories!!
'58 Split Project
'76 Kubelwagon
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

Another little addition this afternoon

GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

ha, very nice sticker mate.. ;) ... and well earned.... 8)
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

yeah you sent that one a while ago, found it this arvo while cleaning up a bunch of parts under my work bench. didnt waste any time getting it on there.
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

wait, so when are you ganna paint the bus.... *preceded to show sticker* ;)
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

thebear wrote:
A few questions re your paint and panel.

1. To match the panel repairs to the original, did you use a colour matched spray can?
2. What process have you used to get the shine on the original paint? wet/dry sandpaper, steel wool, polish, penetrol? In what order?
3. What process has been used over the sections of undercoat and bare metal?
4. Does this look require continual maintenance, if so what, and how often?

did you finish the house reno's from 2009?
Kent,
mate i hope this dribble makes sence.

1. I took the fuel door to Harts paint supplies (southport) they colour matched it to the outside of the fuel door. The colour wasnt an exact match for the original pearl white but it was a pretty good match to the faided weather beaten outside colour.
The made up a litre of colour and 1 spray can.

2. I tried a few different methods to tidy up the original paint. 1st i used oven cleaner to try and remove any non genuine paint, it works but leaves the original paint very soft.
I ended up using a mix of sand papers to slowly rub through the non original paint. I Started 240 grit then 600 grit and finally 800 grit all wet and dry by hand, the 3 grades of wet and dry allowed me to slowly work out any imperfections and crappy paint.
Next i used 2 grades of micro finishing pads 30 microns and 15 microns these pads are magic. I used the 30 mic pads by hand but wasnt happy with the finish so i broke out the variable speed orbi with a soft pad and re did the 30 mic and then followed with the 15 mic.
At this stage the finish is good enough to either wax /polish or clear coat, i did some research and ended up using penetrol. First i brushed the penetrol on but even with an expencive paint it left visiable brush strokes in the end i poured it onto a rag and wiped it on.

3. Over the bare metal i used a dark coloured primer to match the original dark grey primer colour. This hepled blend in the new and old paint and didnt look out of place when i rubbed through in a few spots. The bare metal spots were either exposed damage or high spots that rubbed through in the sanding process. Penetrol is a paint conditioner and rust inhiberter so it keeps the bare metal shiney and surface rust free.

4. The penetrol finish will need recoating every 12 months. I'm guessing it will only need a lite rub down before recoating.
Note.... i am not sure how UV stable the penetrol is as a clear coat, so only time will tell. there are a couple of guys using it on the busses here on the coast ( scotty85vw and resol) both of their busses are dark blue so Im assuming that if the penetrol isnt UV stabe it will slowly go yellow on my bus because its white.

The house renos are not complete but we have made the house very livable and are in no rush to finish it.

Mate i hope that answers your questions. If your on the Goldy visiting Al and your other bus give me a call and swing around for a beer.

Cheers Glen 0403 082 482
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

Not so good news......

I'm having a small issue with oil......... Keeping it in the motor mainly.
Looks like the 45 year old 1500 that's in the bus needed more than tidy up I gave it. I have oil coming back up through the sump breather so I'm guessing the problem is probably cracked rings.
On brighter news though the 300 odd miles I punched out over the last week and a bit were awesome.
Looks like I have a replacement 1600 TP and a big nut reduction box to replace the gear that's in it now so I'll be off the road again for a few weeks.
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698