London to Sydney by Split in 1970

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

kombi1976
DSKer

London to Sydney by Split in 1970

Post by kombi1976 »

A fella by the name of Jerry lives not far from me and I was over his place recently just checking a few things out when out of the blue he says "I drove from London to Sydney in a Split in 1970."
I've spoken with Jerry a few times before and he's seen my Panel plenty of times and out of nowhere comes this. I was floored. The obvious question arose......
"You don't have any pics of the trip, with the Kombi in it, of course?"
Jerry grinned and nodded. I'd been about to leave but decided the kids could sit in the car for a minute or 2 while he showed me the photos.

The trip was not a short one. John, an Aussie in London, was a speedway nut. "He'd passed fanaticism and was on the other side," Jerry said. After spending a year driving over there he bought and built these specific engines and did not trust them to be shipped to Australia. Instead he'd drive them there himself in a Kombi. Makes sense, right?

Anyhow, he advertised in the paper for a companion and Jerry, who was there at the time answered the ad. Before he knew it they were off across Europe into Turkey and through Iran then on to Afghanistan and Pakistan and into India. There they met an English girl who's tour had finished there but was after more travelling so she hitched a ride with them and they headed into Nepal.

After Nepal Jerry and the girl parted company with John who had to put the Kombi on a ship. But they met up again in South East Asia on the ship and landed in Sydney together.

Jerry's opinion of the Kombi was that it was a good old bus but that it broke down a lot. From the photos it was at least a late 50s Bus if not earlier so it had probably seen a lot of miles already. But he said that was the good part of the trip. Because for the couple of days it took to find a machine shop he'd pop off and sight see around the local area. Stuff that you'd never normally see. He also said you learned to spot towns with machine shops because they had powerlines going to them. So if they saw powerlines leaving the main road and going into a village it meant they'd be able to sort out any repairs.

And here are what you're really after.....the photos. The bus and adventurers in Iran:

A stop in India where the locals turn up to take a look:

Another from India with water buffalo plowing the fields:

A pass into Nepal which was practically a mudpit. Apparently they followed the Jeep as they thought it would go best....until it lost traction. The Kombi was still going though but they could not pass the Jeep which was now in the way. So the bulldozer pulled them up:

Crossing a river in Nepal. Jerry commented "You know what they're like but that Splitty went places it really shouldn't have been able to":

Here's John and the English lass parked by the Mt Everest View Motel. I said "Wow, a motel." Jerry replied "Mmmm, yeah, but you had to peel the leeches off as you left!"

And finally on the boat to Sydney:

Makes your heart glad, eh? :D
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

Would be cool to take time out and do somthing like that today. Thanks for the story and pics
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

CHECK OUT ......... www.kustomkombi.com
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

That is the truely amazing!! Awesome pics. Thanks Andy 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

It would be brilliant to try this today but the conditions are much different.
The roads in many places are better but the politics are 1000 times worse, at least for westerners.
I think there was a brief period where technology and British influence made vast tracts of the third world accessable even though it was in a pretty basic way.
Terrorism, thuggery and zero accountability for governments in those parts of the world mean people can disappear without a trace and the govts cop out with the old "It's a high risk area".
A trip across Europe is enough of a challenge and I MIGHT hazard Asia under the right conditions. But the Middle East or Africa....no WAY!
Plus, is anyone going to offer up their 44+ yr old bus for that?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Top stuff Andy, great read, better pics!!
Great 8)
smifff
DSKer

Post by smifff »

Great story and terrific pics. Thanks for sharing. :) :) :)
Dreaming of split kombis.

Daisy our '61 11 window (under construction)
Edna our '74 Camper
fester
Newly Converted

Post by fester »

thats terrific andy i can relate to this trip as i worked for top deck travel in
84 & 85. i had the good fortune to do 2 overland trips london to katmandu
and returnin a double decker. doing it today in a splitty is something i would love to do.
A good friend of friend of mine has been handed the job of heading up a recreation of a top deck overland that will start soon. this is proper trip being made as a documentary for television .The bus will be taken out of mothballs from a bus museum in the isle of white and sent overland i belive next month. I hope they have a big tool box
Interestingly you say about doing the journey in todays time of such unrest. He assures me they have safe rout worked out!
Great to see those shots
Im the bottle top percussionist from valla ..remember
Thanks Rob
Kombi Trip
DSKer

Post by Kombi Trip »

The ultimate trips with splits journey - thanks for sharing. 8)
Imagine what you would do if you knew you couldn't fail.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Now that is an adventure - I wonder where that old girl is now....??
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......