The buSdrivEr's RoAdTRiP adVEntUres

Got a story or funny incident involving your split? Post them here.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

the bus driver
DSKer

The buSdrivEr's RoAdTRiP adVEntUres

Post by the bus driver »

Hi all, my name is Stephan and new to this forum..

I live in Belgium, i've been recently pointed out to this forum.
One of my passions is obviously Splitty's but travelling in it is what i like the most and we're looking into doing a travel around the world with the highroof in a few years and so hopefully we can do Australia as well..

As for now here's my latest trip from last year which i think you'll like considering we all like pics on holliday.. :D

This year we're looking in travelling to Morocco or the Eastern bit of Europe..

Anyway here's the story..

3 months long we worked like crazy to prepare the bus and it was ready just the day before we left..
With an insecure feeling we left southwards.. why, because the bus had not done many miles since I had the bus ( it had also been stored for 30 years), I had done 95% of the work myself and there were a few leaks.

Anyway heavily loaded we left on Friday the 13th :-S at 5pm for 3 weeks.

I quickly reaslised that the bus and I had to get to know each other and like all experienced bus drivers know they have a soul and so later on during our holiday I could feel when she had good days and bad.

It’s Saturday 5pm after u full day drive and 1100km further we finally arrived on a campsite in Capbreton to pickup my daughter who was staying with her Mum on a surf camp .
The next day we took off to Bidart at a campsite named Oyam were we stayed for a week, at first we were happy we found this campsite as due to their national holiday (15th) all campsites where packed! It’s when we moved out of the campsite we got presented a bill at a 43€/day rate where I got really pissed off, specially knowing it was just a regular 3 star camping with nothing special and a stinking sanitair !!

After we dropped off Sam in Capbreton we headed a little bit back up north for a local show in Soustons, once we paid and arrived on the field we realised this was not our cup of tea, the location was great (at a lake) but the combination of their 25th show and the amazing weather made it to a completely packed field, we didn’t find a spot and at some point ended on a dead end, the road was very bumpy and driving backwards wasn’t a possibility so I took a right in the grass between a few busses and some tents and all of a sudden it goes .. BANG.. I tried first gear but no movement I tried reverse but with no result.. Luckelly the van was popular and so a few Spanish people came up and after a few Chinese hand signals the guys lifted the van up front and I moved backwards.
Apparently it was the leftover from a sawn tree that was hidden in the grass.. after a few mins later and no result for a spot we just had it turned around and left! Later on I checked the underneath and noticed I got some serious chassis damage that didn’t make me happy..

Anyway from there on we decided to go back south and drove past San Sebastian were we spent the night on a parking. The next day we got up started driving further south and swapped Spain for Portugal
It’s not untill 11pm before we stopped in Belmonte Portugal after a frick’n hot day driving, at some points so hot that I had to shut the safari’s as it felt like a hairdryer blowing in my face.. :-D
Through “Dombutlerâ€
Last edited by the bus driver on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A bad day at surf always beats a good day at work
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

wow. jealous. top post. nice bus. love the beard. now back to read it and not just look at pics ;) .. trip of a lifetime mate. welcome here ANYTIME ;) ..
Last edited by warb on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

what a great trip,nice looking bus, memory that will last a life time, and welcome aboard 8) 8) 8)
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
baykruzer
DSKer

Post by baykruzer »

welcome, cool road trip. Love the high topper
GLEN

1962 11 window project
viewtopic.php?t=8698

CHECK OUT ......... www.kustomkombi.com
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

very 8)
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Great photo's and story, thanks for sharing
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
the bus driver
DSKer

Post by the bus driver »

Cheers for the sweet welcome words!!

I'll try and get a project thread up as well as i've just finished a nice WT conversion in there :D
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

cool mate, would love to see a high top crusing around OZ....
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Top Post. Yep, would love to see hightop in OZ !! Top story, Top Pics. That's what it's all about. Fark Yeah
Oh Yeah, Welcome.
Linz
StenchOfGoat
DSKer

Post by StenchOfGoat »

WOW!
SLAM IT LIKE A CARDIGAN CORGI!!!!!
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

Magnifique photo. Merci de partager 8)
dawerks
DSKer

Post by dawerks »

Epic travel!

I dream of taking a trip like you did, but after 1/2 hour in the car with my lil 'monsters', I reconsider :)
the bus driver
DSKer

Post by the bus driver »

martinigreenbus wrote:Magnifique photo. Merci de partager 8)
Cheers mate but i live in the flemish part of Belgium :wink: :lol:

dawerks wrote:Epic travel!

I dream of taking a trip like you did, but after 1/2 hour in the car with my lil 'monsters', I reconsider :)
:D i get what you mean, we generally try to do the long trips in the evening or at night as then they are a sleep..

I'm also looking into taking a portable DVD player so when we do have to make some long trips during the mornings they can watch some cartoons just to keep them quiet :wink: :D
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

the bus driver wrote:
martinigreenbus wrote:Magnifique photo. Merci de partager 8)
Cheers mate but i live in the flemish part of Belgium :wink: :lol:

:D
Well then it is no wonder you went to France, Potugal and Spain for a road trip then.

Belgium roads are Merde :wink:

Thanks for the pics anyway, Flemish, French or Frankston. It's a great story.
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

Awesome, thanks for the story/pics.

Great spot for your thongs